Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
32A42A Toshiba, IR is dead?    

solder_what_now

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: 32A42A Toshiba, IR is dead? Reply with quote

Ok guys, this is my first post.

now that the formalities are out of the way.

I just picked up a Toshiba CRT from a friend.
Model 32A42A
Chassis: TAC 0248
Remote model - CT-90037

I get the tv to my place, and i find out the remote isn't working.
I check the batteries, i try programming other remotes. I even get a digital camera out to check that the remote is throwing a signal. That all seems good.

The tv works fine, the sound's good, picture's clear, but currently through the remote i can't operate the tv. - depressing.

It's managable, the remote for the cable box changes the channel, but i never realized how important the volume feature would be, th epower would just be nice for the whole power bill aspect.

I have no real problem opening this TV up, but my issue is i'm not sure of what kind of replacement parts i should be looking at, and also haven't been able to find any in my searches. I've browsed Ebay for parts and Googled for service manuals and i'm coming up dry.

Any ideas or resources would be greatly appreciated. A service manual to glance through of this tv or similar would be greatly appreciated. I like to have an idea of what i'm doing before i tear apart things that arn't completely broken.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, before you spend any money, look in the owner/operators manual for your CABLE BOX REMOTE. Just about all cable box remotes are programmable. Program your cable box remote for your set. There should be several different codes available for Toshiba.

I did check the reference for your set and the remote model is correct for that set.

One of the more common failures in this area is water damage on the board. (someone cleans the glass and the liquid runs down the glass, goes behind the excutcheon and drips on the circuit board.) Many times the remote reciever is what gets trashed.

The part number for the reciever is 23007490 and is available here: http://www.andrewselectronics.com/welcome.aspx
costs $9.26 plus shipping and is a soldered in device.

Hope this helps

Jesse
solder_what_now

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick information.

I've already tried the Toshiba codes on two other controllers (one a Comcast, another a OneforAll) I have even attempted the code search which after about 100 tries, i came to the conclusion it was the receiver.

I am having a little issue finding the part number you supplied on Andrews electronics, does it require a username to search for parts?

Once i can verify this part, guess the next step is to find some one to help put the tv on the ground and start researching disassembly.

I already know about the crt discharge, hopefully this reciever isn't too confined considering ill have to remove it and put another in.
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After accessing the website, look in the blue field top right area and click on "order parts". Then on the center right edge click on find parts (small print in Orange) of the consumer parts orders area. After that simply insert part number.

The device is small and you have to remove the main board to access.

If you are having trouble with this I would suggest you ask someone with good soldering skills to help

Jesse
solder_what_now

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear I'm not fishing for posts.

I had already found the part search area, my issue is i never get any results when i search. I'll post a picture as proof once i find some web space and a little time.

I've tried with Google chrome, Firefox, and also IE 8 (ugh). Maybe i have something blocked in my hosts file, i'll try that next.

All have returned the same results.

are you sure this is the number 23007490

Is the formatting correct, are there any hyphens or asterix preceding or in it? Is it necessary to have a manufacturer in the search field, I've tried blank as well as Toshiba.

As for me being able to make the repair, i have to tear the television apart first to see what surrounds this component. Once that occurs, i'll way the risk vs my willingness to not have half the functionality of the remote.

Note: just altered the hosts. still coming up dry
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

solder_what_now

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af171/solder_what_now/search.jpg?t=1256954702[/img]

Also, while just brute force searching for the part by searching for 2300, the part number you listed just seems to not exist, theres a gap.

Toshiba 23007396 PCB *NLA*TAIS
Toshiba 23007664 COVER, BACK 36AFX61 BACK COVER CABINET
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, part number = 23009490

This website also has a search engine albeat you have to use the "order part" section to access the search engine via model number.

However, it is still "MY BAD"

Jesse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com