Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Black Bar Adjustment?    

HammerDown

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Black Bar Adjustment? Reply with quote

When my local repair guy installed the chaise back in my 35' Toshiba-CF3572B I thought he rotated the white ring in the pic to adjust the pictures black bar at the top/bottom however... he didn't do a very good job as it's uneven.
Could someone explain to me what or how I could fix it?
Also, could I get shocked or really mess something up?
As usual thanks for any feedback.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "white ring" in your picture is called a deflection yoke. Moving it can adjust for a "tilted" picture and for "Purity." There are NO picture "centering" controls on CRT neck or Yoke. (Try "Width" - "Vertical Height/Size" or "Vert. and Horiz. Centering" adjustment/controls on Chassis or in Service Menu)
The three pairs of "rings" mounted further back (grayish-red) (towards the CRT socket) are for adjusting Purity and Center Convergence. (The black "tabs" even further back are to lock/unlock the purity/convergence rings.)
HammerDown

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
The "white ring" in your picture is called a deflection yoke. Moving it can adjust for a "tilted" picture and for "Purity." There are NO picture "centering" controls on CRT neck or Yoke. (Try "Width" - "Vertical Height/Size" or "Vert. and Horiz. Centering" adjustment/controls on Chassis or in Service Menu)
The three pairs of "rings" mounted further back (grayish-red) (towards the CRT socket) are for adjusting Purity and Center Convergence. (The black "tabs" even further back are to lock/unlock the purity/convergence rings.)

Deflection Yoke...that's it, that's what he rotated and called it!
And yes, by viewing the black bars top/bottom my picture is slightly tilted.
Anything scary I should know before rotating it...like death from electrocution. Anything to loosen first or make sure I don't touch?
JTS1957

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First CRT is made of glass and it is under vacuum.
Don't handle yoke by its windings or any exposed metal connection point. Use the white plastic housing.

Turning yoke left or right "tilts" the whole picture (raster) - (use a "government access" or other station that has a good reference for horizontal).
Pushing/pulling towards or away from "bell" of tube adjusts "purity" (color splotches).

If you're lucky, the other guy left loose enough to rotate. Try to turn.

Deflection yoke has a metal clamp on its rear (hex head bolt in pix). Loosen to allow to move (if necessary), and carefully tighten when satisfied with the results (better too loose than too tight!)
HammerDown

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
First CRT is made of glass and it is under vacuum.
Don't handle yoke by its windings or any exposed metal connection point. Use the white plastic housing.

Turning yoke left or right "tilts" the whole picture (raster) - (use a "government access" or other station that has a good reference for horizontal).
Pushing/pulling towards or away from "bell" of tube adjusts "purity" (color splotches).

If you're lucky, the other guy left loose enough to rotate. Try to turn.

Deflection yoke has a metal clamp on its rear (hex head bolt in pix). Loosen to allow to move (if necessary), and carefully tighten when satisfied with the results (better too loose than too tight!)

To confirm...
loosen hex nut at red or white arrow?
The "ring" I'm turning is red <x> ...correct?
Will everything in the pic rotate or just the ring <x> at the rear?

It appears my picture requires a slight counter clockwise rotation, is this the direction ring should be rotated?
Thank you for any further feedback.

Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red arrow is correct.
Either the white "ring" you've indicated or the white squarish portion (closer to red arrow).
HammerDown

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
Red arrow is correct.
Either the white "ring" you've indicated or the white squarish portion (closer to red arrow).

Thanks...I'm on it. Silly me didn't want to 'snap' anything off! LOL
Again, what a great forum...people helping people.
HammerDown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE... it worked!
Once again this place has saved me but I gotta say > I was a nervous wreck trying to rotate that thing. Even with the clamp loose it didn't want to move very easily. I marked where it was originally and only went about 1/16" clockwise.
Great forum going on here...thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com