Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
ctc-169-pk Dead after pop sound...    

lewismug

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: ctc-169-pk Dead after pop sound... Reply with quote

1997 RCA 46" Projection Television
Model: P46720LV
Chassis: PTK169PKA

It's completely dead. A friend gave it to me. He was watching it the other night and heard a pop, then it went off and has not powered on since. It was his excuse to purchase a new flat panel, so he asked if I wanted it. I do computer repair (capacitors, resistors, etc...), so I figured I would give it a shot. I opened up the rear lower panel on the back and noticed everything was covered in a lint looking material. Mostly dust. I have not cleaned anything off, but looked at every capacitor that I could find and saw none bulging. Checked the fuse and it appears to be alright. I will ohm it out just to be sure tomorrow. With the limited amount of information I have supplied, can you guys give me advice on where to start looking? I have never repaired any type of television and I don't want to kill myself. I appreciate any responses you guys/gals are willing to give!

Thanks,

William

Last edited by lewismug on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

lewismug

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered the TV Repair for beginners book and should have it within a few days. Hopefully I will be able to figure things out with it.
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

replace on any ctc169 chassis.
C4102 2.2uf 100v
C4104 15uf 63v
C4108 47uf 50v ( Sometimes This Is A 39uf)
CR4118 = #164590 or sub with MUR480E or MUR4100E from digikey
also check the http://www.riddledtv.com/repair/RCA/CTC169.html
lewismug

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks hurdler! I will replace those asap! I had no idea that the chassis number was actually listed as it was in the link you gave in your post. I looked through those pages, but just skipped right over it since they weren't identical. Thanks again! Are all of these on the same board or kind of spread out on several different boards? I'm sure the book will help me to understand tv repair much better. At least it will give me an ear for the terms that apply to tv's anyway. Right now I have no clue what you guys are talking about when you mention flyback, and I'm sure it's a pretty common term. I'm a complete newb, but extremely willing to learn!
lewismug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My exact chassis is ctc168PK. I checked CR4118 and got a reading with the set plugged in from one arm of the diode to the other arm of only 3v. I found the following on freelists/techassist:

Cr4118 Located To Left Of Power Sup Xfrmr (off of pin 3 of T4102)

Check Voltage Across This Diode Should Be 12-14 Volts. Replace Diode Even If It Checks Good. It Fails Under Load. Will Cause Set To Be Dead Or Intermittently Dead.

Did I check this correctly? I'm still waiting on the book to arrive, but I haven't been able to find several of the caps that you referred to. I have the cr4118, but am unable to find any of the others. I have the Service information sheet which was on the back of the set and none of the others are listed. I was sure to check each of the diagrams and even went through each of the parts listed on the sheet. Could someone lend a hand in finding these other components? They aren't listed under the main chassis heading anywhere. I did find a test point 4102, 4104, and 4108. are these what you are referring to? The 4108 is listed as audio b+, 4104 is +12v run, and 4102 is +7v.

I have also looked on the web to see if the repair kit is available anywhere, but I haven't been able to find it. any ideas as to where it can be found or would I be better off just purchasing the individual caps?
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Ben's Tv

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Flyback... Reply with quote

I'm not exactly possitive what the fly back does my dad works on TV's but it's the big black thing in the corner that has a red thick wire going to the picture tube which is where your picture tube gets about 30K V of electricity :mrgreen:
lewismug

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced CR4118 and it powered up just fine! Thanks a million for all of your help guys! I LOVE this television! Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com