Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
CTC169 Picture Degradation and Tuner    

marleythedog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: CTC169 Picture Degradation and Tuner Reply with quote

Hello,

I have had for a couple of years an RCA F27227EM, chassis CTC169CF2, mfg. 1992. I got it as a freebie, believe it came from a restaurant. It's had a couple of long-standing issues and one that cropped up just recently. I'm relatively amateur at electronics repair, but if my issues are fixable I have nothing to lose in trying.

Picture-related issues: There's been red shadowing of highlights on the screen for as long as I've had it. Within the last couple of weeks, a high-pitched sound is emitted from the board when AC is plugged in and red horizontal retrace lines appear on the screen within about 60 seconds of power on. In my attempts of self-diagnosis, a lot of 169 tips online related to picture suggest replacing various caps/diodes in the deflection circuitry. Does this sound relevant to my issues?

Tuner: Signal often drifts to snow and back while tuned on any channel. We got around it using by using a cable box on a/v input. I read about the bad soldering issue with 170s/180s tuners, and though my symptoms were the same, I didn't see any mention of this being a problem on the 169 chassis. Might this be the case anyway? The tuner innards look like the one in the 175 diagram on repairfaqs.

Being it a 16 year old TV and a CTC169 furthermore, is it worth messing with? I certainly would not pay to have it repaired, but if I can hobble a few more hours out of it with a few bucks in parts and some patience, I'd certainly be willing to try. I'm about as amateur as they get, and don't have much more electronics equipment than a multimeter and a soldering iron.

Thanks and merry Christmas,
Chase
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

ivtec

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to lower g2 on the back of the flyback transformer and see what happens.
marleythedog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lower g2 eliminates retrace lines. Too low stretches the red shadows in some scenes however red shadows are completely unaffected by g2 in others. The picture has a slight red cast in general with black looking like dark maroon. Turning screen down 'til black is black exacerbates the red shadowing and makes the picture pretty dark.
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you cant get it looking good in the customer menu, I think your tube is probably shot. You can try rejuvenating it. that often has limited success. basically your CRT is worn out and used up.
Wendell1980

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

videodisplay in the states can rebuild tubes just had all 3 done for my sony
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much did that cost Wendell?
Wendell1980

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it cost me 165 dollars american per tube
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com