Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
DTV Good or Bad?   Goto page 1, 2  Next  

_Chris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: DTV Good or Bad? Reply with quote

The upcoming conversion to Digital TV does not seem to be going as smooth as the industry and the government seem to think it is. From what we are seeing in the small city, rural area, people are wishing that things were left the way they were in the past. We are finding that people are having problems receiving digital TV signal via roof top antennas. They have to be able to receive a good quality UHF signal to be able to get a good digital TV picture. There seem to be a lot of people that are finding that they either do not get UHF at all or that what they do get is not of good enough quality to get a TV picture that stays and does not break up and go to a blank screen.
I have had people mention to me that they are having problems with getting a Digital picture either on their new DTV or with a DTV converter box. The picture can be good and actually look better than what they were getting before DTV or the picture can freeze and/or break up and go to a blank screen depending on the weather. People who have been satisfied with watching slightly poorer quality pictures depending on weather, etc. in the past are now finding that they are unable to watch some of their channels at all.We have been working with customers to upgrade and/or replace their current TV antenna system so they can receive good quality UHF signals, but this doesn't always work with all people depending on physical location, etc. People who have been using rabbit ears for a second or portable set are really at a loss to receive digital TV. Cable or satellite TV seems to be the only way to insure good DTV reception.
These are just my thought and experiences on this subject.What are your thoughts and experiences
on this subject? Thanks.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

_Ming

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also afraid of lost customer for they all buy their new flat panel TVs. I discover the digital converter box is very good equipment for look at DTV signals. It only need a rabbit ear antenna to receive signal is very good thing. If you put in the cable to it's input, or use roof top antenna, it will not have good reception. There must be a special UHF signal amplifier to magnify the the signal. I have tried 30 DB UHF amplifier, but not better than rabbit table top antenna ifself stand alone. One computer shop, during my visit to shopping at it, they use expensive antenna but no good picture, then they know I am TV guy, they ask my advice, I offer them a rabbit ear simple antenna that just put near the TV which is a new flat panel TV. The picture come out for look at is very good and stable. many person don't know the signal is come from the air, it is not from the cable that feeding thier cable box.
I don't know what reason is that for the 30 DB U,VHF antenna amplifier don't have good function on magnify the digital signal while it is good for analog signal. I suppose this amplifier use AGC to stable the amplification, and the Digital signal is 0 and 1 signal they are very weak strenght for digit "0" and very strong for digit "1". This never happen to analog signal so that amplifier itself cut this signal to low signal level at digit "1" then make the whole signal become the total level is not "0" or "1".
It should design an new generation of antenna amplifier to improve the reception, and let the AGC function go to the TV-itself to handle it.
Can you, "any super TV guy", know or find out antenna amplifier manufacturer who will make this sample for use to test and prove this idea is correct.
Now I alway apply digital converter box for my customer. It is a very good way tp keep customer use their old model TVs. I ask the for fix TV at US$100.00 but help them to apply two coupons or four coupons that is they only actually pay my US$20.00 or earn US$60.00. This take other person money to them, It is not my money, so that no any problem. customer like it for they have real benefit. After the coupon reach them, many of the call to set up the digital top box, although many of them know how to set up, but some of them put in the cable feeding wiring. i have to educate them and provide rabbit ear antenna. The free application become "can make money business and keep them like my service." The whole thing minus foolish-ness the remaining portion is still good deal for making money. That is in Chinese idium " help the other person that is really help ourselves."
WE should design "menu AGC and menu amplification ratio Antenna amplifier" which is the AGC can adjust from 0 to 50% and the linear amplication from 10 DB to 50
DB by a volume of up-down button.
_Steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you Chris. They should leave things alone. Of course
it's all about money. Human greed has caused this. Myself I don't have
cable, and for now I can get 5 channels with my little rabbitt ears on
VHF(until 2011). What's next, are they going to pull the same crap with
radio, so everyone will have to get sattelite radio in order to listen to
their favourite FM stations???
_terry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in eastern Canada and we have Sat TV and the reception is excellent. On
a very severe snow storm or heavy fog we may miss a few seconds of signal
but otherwise all is great. Sat and digital cable of coarse isn't bothered
with the change, but I do pity those that depend on roof-top or bunny ear
antenna's to get their favorite programs. All of it is about MONEY, the gov.
and all the high up dudes including oil giants are gouging the poor little
guy so as to make it difficult to enjoy what little life one has. Too bad,
but what can we do about it? NOTHING.
_Steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV and radio should always be free and easily accessible via the air. I
thought that's what advertising was for.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

_bob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tech:s
Here;s how i work around the change over......
Drop out/of the a digital signal from line of site point a to b
is a breakup of the stream,the more distance from a to b then earth terain
and the weather affects the stream seperatly for each transmitter,example
watching a dish network transmission , heavy rain amplication is on, we experaince loss of the stream and or if the dish is off peek drop out or loss of the stream will acurre.
Radiation/hotspots has little affect on over the air digital compared to the anolog envolope,vhf low band hemorging is corrected by moving the channels up
to a uhf alocation cell.
So we need to consider the factors that must be present, sampling before any amplication.
A outside antenna is a must to receive the most availlible cells in a given area.
when rabit ears works better then a outside antenna then the problom must be
upstream.
Signal loss lets keep it simple.. lol
Lets start out with a simple 3 or 4 element bowtie with a mesh a good directional
1.proper lead in ,
2.matching transformer
3.proper splitters if more than one converter box or tv.
4.antenna has to have a solid boom, no waving /movement with the wind.

One person simple setup, find wich channel is asign to a mid uhf cell
with signal metor peak that cell, then from the lowest vhf high channel
for your zone, and the highest uhf prombly channel 2 , then simply peak
them three cells a degree at a time then down to a hair ,when finished lock it down.
Now any dropouts will be due to objects in between a and b.

Over-the-air digital reception provides the best picture quality: Cable and satellite providers offer tons of channels, but to do this they use data compression or other techniques that compromise picture quality, resulting in a "soft" image, distracting video "artifacts" (distortion), or both. Off-air antenna reception is the best way to enjoy HDTV programs at the full resolution the TV networks intended.

The bowtie mesh works good for digital but i did not want to buy a old antena
for my new lcd ,lol so i made/cut one myself heres a few pic's two different designs first one made for the shop second for home getting over 22 channels Works for me
_Peggs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's not the case in my area.......in fact NONE of the Stations will be using their exisiting channel/frequency.
My only hope is that they'll Transmit the Digital Signal with the same WATTAGE that they used for their analog signal.......I think Rabbit Ears may work if that's the case.Right now,it's outside antenna only if you want to get all the Digital Stations.

Are the Stations REQUIRED to supply their Signal to a 75 Mile Radius from their Tower ???
_tito

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peggs if you remember antenna theory from your days of schooling ,you will see that if the frequency is low like channel 2 to 6 in VHF the carrier tend to go attach to the surface of the earth,if is UHF goes straight from the antenna and dose not follow the curvature of the earth,if is any obstacle between you and transmitter like a building a mountain is going to be very difficult to get reception, unless they bounce it back from a satellite.-
_Ed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a high gain antenna specific for that band of uhf channels
and rotor. Note the channels and get an antenna made for that range.
I have a couple tuned for only the channels I need.
_John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good morning all, not meaning to re-hash a subject, but I found this link at
the FCC and thought it might answer some questions that I know keep
daunghting folks (at least the folks I deal with) concerning the DTV
transition: http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/dtvantennas.html I think I
refered to this link in the past, but then again maybe not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com