Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Frustrating Trinitron XBR kv-32xbr65    

tbirdjkc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Frustrating Trinitron XBR kv-32xbr65 Reply with quote

hi, i have a sony trinitron kv-32xbr65, just a couple days ago, i was watching my tv and heard a pop and my screen went out, i still had sound but the speakers were squeeling. i know for sure its the speakers because if i switch them off the squeel dissapears. when i tryed turning it back on i got nothing but speaker squeel, no sound no picture. i unplugged it waited a few seconds and plugged it back in and everything returned to normal for about 5 minuets and it did the exact same thing. i thought maybe it was my surge protector so i plugged it stright into my wall...same thing. then i tryed turning everything down, picture, brightness, set trinitone to Low. i then got around 10 minuets. now it warms up and pops as soon as the screen begins to display. i pulled the rear panel off and watched. the clear part of the neck of the tube did not glow when the tube warmed up like it ussually does, it stays clear and when the tube begins to warm it pops and appears to discharge into the board on the neck. It looks exactly like lightning. then the tube whistles (deguassing magnets?). i would greatly appreciate any help!!! this is the second one thats died on me in a month, same model. Could it be the power supply? i know these models had bad solder joints on the power board. both tvs had to have service work performed when they were only a year old.

Also wanted to metion that i got this tv for free last month and the original owner gave it too me because the screen was displaying 2 red 2 green and 2 blue horizontal lines at the top, and assumed the tube was going. I'm wondering if this isn't vertical fold over? the lines dissapear as the tube warms, blue will show up when i change channels or a dark picture is displayed (overscan?). i cant even see the IC's or capacitors its so caked with dust, i wanted to take the chassis out and blow them off with some compressed air but i wasnt in the mood for getting zapped or killing my compnents with possible static. Just mentioning this because im not sure if the problems are connected.

I also dont think its the tube, grayscale it has perfect b&w no color sploching. it was always bright and sharp. no picure issues other than the horizontal lines.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

tbirdjkc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any help on this one? at all? anyone???
JTS1957

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as blowing out dust is concerned, canned air will work well enough. Unplug TV. Remove back of set, and blow out dust from top to bottom. Stay away from Red high voltage wire and anode cap on bell of CRT. Keep the metal can you're using away from the chassis.

Horizontal lines do sound like they could be a Vertical problem.

I'm more concerned about the tube "whistles." (degaussing uses "coils" not magnets)
Inside the neck of a normally operating tube, you will see usually 3 filaments glowing orangeish in color.
There should NOT be any blue/violet glowing or arcing inside the neck of the tube. (If there IS, then CRT is bad - air has contaminated).
Unplug CRT neck board and anode cap and let them hang ISOLATED in mid-air and see if the "whistle/lightning" stop.
tbirdjkc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanted to veiw it one last time before i pulled the neck board off and it no longer shoots blue lightning. it glows amber like normal and then, no pop, just a click like i turned it off, and the tube shuts off. then i can hear the static crackle like it has since it was new. the whistle however still occours after it clicks off. do you still think its the tube? thanks for helping me out! i'm totally lost here
JTS1957

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to recap: Set will turn On at your command ("relay click"), and set HAS high voltage ("static crackle"), but No Audio / No Video / No Raster (No Raster = front of tube Not Lit), then set turns Off by itself?

Set IS on Tuner - NOT one of the A/V Inputs?

Tube is not air contaminated if no blue/violet glowing or arcing occurring.

Could "whistle" be described as a metalic "hum" that occurs only when the set is first turned On? If so, that would be the degaussing cycle occurring.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

tbirdjkc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

set has sound until it warms up, then the tube will shut off. at this point i still have sound. if i turn the tv off, the next time i turn it on i will no longer have sound. if i unplug and replug the set from the wall, it resets and i will have picture and sound as long as its cool, as soon as it warms up it clicks off again.

its not the tuner, i can still change chanels while the tube is off, and it occours wheter its on video or antenna, and even if the speakers dont work i can still see the stereo led come on and off as i change channels.

the set hasnt hummed as i turned it on since i've had this set (had this one for a month), my old one of the same model no longer humms as i turn it on either, it only does it after i plug them in. i used to turn them on and get a loud BUZZZZ and then a click like a relay and then i would get the picture. for the last month i've only gotten a click, no buzz. i know it sounds confuzing

its not the same humm as when i turn it on, its much higher pitched, almost like its straining.
tbirdjkc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone please tell me how to release the large lead going from the flyback to the tube?
JTS1957

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See:
http://www.snuvo.com/writing/sony/BA4chassis.pdf
tbirdjkc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks JTS, you have been a big help, i am going to try swapping the chassis out of my newer xbr, same exact tv just 2 years newer, it has a bad tube and i think it might be easyer to just use my cabnet and tube and the functioning chassis, while i troubleshoot the original
curt wolfe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I would resolder the 2 regulators ic581 and ic582 should be on heat sink near center of chassis. For the red, green & blue lines at top check r517 3.3 ohm, increased in value. Hope this is of some help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com