Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
JVC 32 CRT tv that had the uhf/vhf coaxial connector yanked    

rdbcatcher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: JVC 32 CRT tv that had the uhf/vhf coaxial connector yanked Reply with quote

I was given a 32" JVC CRT TV. It works, has sound and a decent picture. My problem is the family that had it before, when they moved were in such a rush to move it, they just ripped the cable connector right out of the back of the set. I took a look inside (like all good tinkerers would) and was able to find out it would be a simple repair. I disconnected what appeared to be two right-angle RCA styled connectors on thick cables (both came off easy and appear to go to control units or boards) from the top of the coaxial cable unit. Since the part now was free floating, I took it out and examined it. I was correct, the coaxial cable connecter had been ripped entirely out of the part. The next problem, is the prior owner removed ALL external identifying stickers from the TV's cabinet, so I have no idea what model it is, the serial number, or when it was built. Rough, huh? THe only identifying mark, is what appears to be a part number on the broken cable connector part (0308 609A). I've looked all over the internet for possibilities, but no success. I tried the JVC website and was close, but failed since their parts identifier had no record of this part. If you could help me identify the TV and what the exact name of the part is, plus where I can buy one, I would be very grateful. I have, as have you, enjoyed trying to bring things back to life and fixing them for me and my family. This television is a welcomed possibility since our current TV just crashed and burned. Just so you know, I have tried to researched repairing the crashed TV (a SONY Trinitron KV-27S46). According to all forums, the trouble signal code that is flashing on the front of the TV means either a failing CRT tube, failed power supply relay capacitor or that the motherboard has had cascade failure. I'm not an electronics engineer or electronics repair person, so it's hard for me to diagnose and repair at this stage. I probably will have to permanently retire the Sony, but wish I didn't have to because it's perfect for us. It's just too darn expensive these days to repair TV's. Any way, if you could help me with the aforementioned problem, I'd really appreciate it. I can make that repair, just not skilled enough to fix the Sony. Thank you for your time and efforts.

Sincerely,
Robert D. Beleele
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternate "story" based on your post: The thieves were in such a hurry to remove their booty that they ripped the antenna jack right out of the back of the set. Later they tried to "disguise" the stolen set by ripping off the sticker with the set's identifying marks (not realizing that there are usually other ways to I.D. a set Wink ). (Either that or "this 6-year-old set NOW becomes a 1-year-old set "'cause I say so"" Laughing ).

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/productimages/s4/3858562.jpg
rdbcatcher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
Alternate "story" based on your post: The thieves were in such a hurry to remove their booty that they ripped the antenna jack right out of the back of the set. Later they tried to "disguise" the stolen set by ripping off the sticker with the set's identifying marks (not realizing that there are usually other ways to I.D. a set Wink ). (Either that or "this 6-year-old set NOW becomes a 1-year-old set "'cause I say so"" Laughing ).

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/productimages/s4/3858562.jpg

You know, I wouldn't disagree with you at all 'Surprised' , all things considered. I work at an Apartment Complex in Ventura, CA and when tenants are evicted and then skip the property then belongs to the Maintenance Department to dispose of. My boss told me what happened before he gave it to me, so who am I to call him a liar (maybe a "yarn weaver", but not liar)'Razz' ? Yup it's funny and a bit weird, but if I can fix this TV, it'll help me in a bad situation. Nothing more, nothing less. But, glad you got a laugh, too bad there wasn't anything hidden inside it!! That would've been fun!!!! Laughing Laughing Surprised I'd love to learn how to identify the stolen stuff, if you could show/tell me the "other ways", I'd appreciate it. Oh yeah, I opened up the part, the filter circuit board inside was broken in half when the coaxial stud was ripped out, don't know if I can fix that.
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can probably replace the whole tuner. For most models its a metal box about 2 by 4 inches. you'll have to desolder it from the circuitboard, but it won't be more than $30 or so.
are there any numbers on that metal box?

it looks something like this:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/PHILIPS-/242254290108
rdbcatcher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuhurdler wrote:
you can probably replace the whole tuner. For most models its a metal box about 2 by 4 inches. you'll have to desolder it from the circuitboard, but it won't be more than $30 or so.
are there any numbers on that metal box?

it looks something like this:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/PHILIPS-/242254290108

Actually, my friend, this is easier than that. The tuner and the accompanying cable to the rf coaxial connector is intact and works well. This part in question (0308 609A) is a very small item. The dimensions are aprroximately 1"x3/4"x1/2" with two RCA style female connections on top, with the front having the coaxial male connector exiting from the interior. The main body of the part is kinda square and attached to the chassis from the front with two screws. The whole part is self-contained and appears to be a filter unit of sorts, meaning the coaxial in is the feed and it provides imput to the tuner and another component via the RCA style female output jacks on top. I wish I had a way of putting up a picture, but for now, I got a buddy trying to rebuild it with parts like were shown above. He stated the cracked board can be vypassed and the unit itself is grounded internally via soldering. But any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having trouble picturing this. Can you snap a picture?
rdbcatcher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuhurdler wrote:
I'm having trouble picturing this. Can you snap a picture?

I've got the part in a shop to get fixed, but I could draw it orthographically and scan it in for viewing, but how would I post it? It definitely wouldn't be to scale.
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is almost always set identification on stickers on the chassis itself. (not on the cabinet) and many times chassis numbers printed on the main pcb.

Jesse
rdbcatcher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse Mack wrote:
There is almost always set identification on stickers on the chassis itself. (not on the cabinet) and many times chassis numbers printed on the main pcb.

Jesse

Jesse,
I've created a basic sketch of the part and the sticker on it, and I've got it scanned into my computer. I don't know how to post an image in a post since the drawing is on a 8x11 sheet. If you can contact me at r.beleele@sbcglobal.net, I'll send an attachment to you to see if you know of an alternative part that would work. Thanks, Robert[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com