Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Magnavox turned into an expensive Metronome - 32D700-7570    

JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Magnavox turned into an expensive Metronome - 32D700-7570 Reply with quote

Dear pros,

Brand: Philips Magnavox
Model: TS3258 C101
Chassis: 32D700-7570

I was watching TV and with out any provocation, it just turned off, as if it thought I had had enough! Tried turning it back on with no response. I pulled out the TV and took off the back. When plugged in, it makes a quiet electrical snap sound about one per second. Sounds like it is coming somewhere from the center of the board, hard to tell exactly where because I couldn't get my big head in there. I thought of wipping out the guitar and jamming to the beat, but decided to try and fix it (break it more) instead.

I jumped online and started reading. I found several people with issues similar, but their front power light would work or would be flashing, mine on the other hand does nothing.

I took the TV to the garage and blew off all the dust and pulled the main board. After careful scrutinizing, I see no deformed caps or blackened areas. I guess its time to start testing components, but I though one of you pros could give me a pointer as to where to start looking.

Thanks much in advance,
Johnny
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switched Mode Power Supply and Horizontal Output circuits are always a good place to start testing transistors and diodes. Smile
Could also have bad capacitors or Flyback.
JohnnyZ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Found bad cap? Reply with quote

I started by checking the cap in 2634 which I've been told is a weak point on this model, but it looked fine and read infinity (all i have to test is a standard meter) BUT while soldering it back on I saw a small crack on cap 3908. I pulled it from the board and it measures 12.2 ohms. Im I wrong, or shouldn't it be infinity?

It is a small round dirt red cap which says "100" above some distorted symbol and "87". Can you help identify this cap?

Thanks in advance,
Johnny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com