Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
panasonic PT-47WX53G problem   Goto page 1, 2  Next  

moobat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: panasonic PT-47WX53G problem Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,
I have a Panasonic PT-47WX53G. I was watching t.v. last night when all of the sudden it popped and shut off. i turn the switch back on and made an arcing sound. When i pulled the back cover off i found that i have a resistor sparking. the resistor is blue and yellow and small and rests next to the component that looks like an ignition coil? Sorry i am an automotive technician! I was wondering if anyone knew what would cause it to blow out and if i could just replace the resistor.

I really appreciate anyone's help,
Dave
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: panasonic PT-47WX53G problem Reply with quote

"Ignition coil" most likely is the "Flyback transformer."

The component you're asking about is mounted on a printed circuit board.

Panasonic is very good at labeling this board (both top and bottom) with a location I.D. number (R532, Q401, etc.) for each part.

Post the location number of this component.

You could also post a picture.
moobat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off thank you for helping. second i took a few pictures, the first being the number on the board, the next two pictures are of the resistor and the flashback transformer i guess. let me know if the pictures are not clear enough or you need anymore information

http://s618.photobucket.com/albums/tt269/moobat/?action=view&current=005.jpg
JTS1957

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Flyback" NOT "Flashback."

Take a artist's paintbrush, dip in rubbing alcohol, clean "charred" area and get "Location Number." (Is also available underneath the same part on bottom of board).
moobat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, sorry i'm not to familiar with tv terms. i confident i can replace the resistor i just didn't know what caused it to blow if anything, i will remove the board and get the number. i just didn't want to have to remove it more then once to fix the problem. is it common for resistors just to blow on tv's?? I also really like this t.v. but it is about 5 years old and don't want to sink a lot of money into it by having a repair shop fix it.

thanks again,
dave
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resistor has a "Location number."
This "location number" will allow a technician to look up a part's ratings, to then tell you what you should be replacing the part with. It will also let a technician know in which circuit the bad part is, etc., so he may tell you what else you should be checking.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon looking at the other two pictures you posted, the resistor may not be the bad part. Where does the "charring" start and end? If it starts at or under flyback, it could be a bad Flyback?
moobat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably know more when i take it off, but as far as i can tell it does look like it's sparking from the base of the resistor. At the same time i only attempted to turn it on once when the back was off for fear of further damage. I will try to pull the board later tonight and take some more pictures.
moobat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK i removed the board and added some new pictures. the number on the back of the board for the resistor R506. T551 is the number on the flyback. from the looks of it definitely burnt next to the resistor on top of the board.. there really doesn't seem to be any damage on the rear of the board.

http://s618.photobucket.com/albums/tt269/moobat/

thanks again!
JTS1957

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If measured, R506 will test fine.

Q551 insulator is not installed correctly. The transistor has exposed metal on its back that must not touch the metal heatsink.

T501 pin # 2 and various higher wattage resistor solder joints look suspicious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com