Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Philips 37PFL5322D/37 - 37" LCD, powers up but no pic    

khnitz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Philips 37PFL5322D/37 - 37" LCD, powers up but no pic Reply with quote

TV - 37" Philips LCD from 2007
Model 37PFL5322D/37

Symptoms:
Pressing the power button will turn the power LED from Red to Green. The backlight for the LCD panel will turn on, too. The TV seems to react to inputs from the remote control (the power LED flashes with each button press, as if to confirm receipt of the input). No picture, messages, menu items, etc. are visible on the screen...just the backlighting.

What I've checked:
I opened the TV and checked that all the connectors were seated properly. One of the 2 ribbon cables from the LCD control board to the LCD was seated a little crooked, however, the contacts on the ribbon cable showed the impressions that contact was made on all "pins" (re-seating this connection did not change the behavior). The power supply doesn't look stressed (no vented/bulging lytics, etc.).

What I'll try next:
Tonight I'll feed an A/V signal through the TV to see if I at least get sound through to the speakers.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

khnitz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to feed audio into the AV3 port and select that input with the remote control's Source button. No indication from the screen, but the audio was heard through the TV speakers.

I also checked all the ribbon cable and other connectors on the TV...they are all solid - all the way up to the LCD.

Next thing is to look into a service bulletin that recommends removing cap. C943 on the power supply board. Apparently, it can short.
khnitz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed C943 last night, but there was no change in behavior. And, I now have the service manual, too. I'll be stepping through the troubleshooting steps tonight.
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you have no menu and the backlight is lit and you have sound, the probability of a bad panel goes to high. If you have a good O'scope check for activity on the LVDS cable going to the T-CON board. If there is activity, you will either have a bad T-CON board or a bad panel. You can get a "pull" T-CON board from here: http://www.shopjimmy.com I have used this company a few times and have had no problems.

Hope this helps

Jesse
khnitz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jesse. I'll have a look at those items tonight or tomorrow and will report back. I'm trying to save this one from the scrap heap...the previous owner claimed that it was working fine and then the next time he turned it on the picture was gone.

Of course, given the replacement costs, if it's a dead panel, then this TV is toast. We'll see what I find...
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com