Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Philips 50" 55PP93 5217 TV doesn't power on   Goto page 1, 2  Next  

abcoffey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Philips 50" 55PP93 5217 TV doesn't power on Reply with quote

Having spent last weekend replacing the CRT coolant on this TV I got really excited about the bright clear picture. Two things I was worried about though. A small, slow drip from the coolant expansion chamber,I applied silicon sealant to it, and placed a paper towel between it and the underlying components to see if the leak continued. The TV was still working, and I havn't noticed any drip onto the paper towel...but just this afternoon the TV has failed to turn on. When I unplug it, I hear a click. The second concern was that in changing the coolant, I needed to unplug the voltage transform wire,in doing this for the green gun, I apparently broke half of the plastic connector sleeve,,it appears it dropped into the tube that the wire pushes into...after several attempts at trying to extract it (plastic straw, very thin screw driver) I decided to strip a quarter of an inch off the wire. I compared this to the length of the wire for the blue gun's transformer wire so it looked like I had enough to get by the plastic sitting within the tube. I pushed it on,it seems like a tight fit though there isn't sleeve lock there anymore. Now, 4 days later, I see this power problem with the TV. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

model?
abcoffey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Powering on seems to be intermittent.... Reply with quote

Update: of course, after my post, the following day the TV came on and worked fine. Another day passes and this morning its not powering on again.

Update 1 day later: I unplugged the TV then pulled the tranform cable and reseated it...plugged TV in and power-on came on for about 3 secs then shut off...

I'm crawling around the back of the TV but haven't yet located the model # but it looks like this guy Philips 55PW9383 55" Widescreen HD-Ready TV.

Last edited by abcoffey on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's pretty important for us to have YOUR model number. Unless you really want tips to fix someone else's TV.
abcoffey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Model 55PP93 5217 Reply with quote

Correction: Its a 55inch Phillips rear projection TV. Model = 55PP93 5217. It was made in 2002 so I've had it for about 7 years.

As I mentioned earlier, this is becoming an intermittent power-on problem. Yesterday it didn't power-on but last night and this AM the TV worked. I'm hopeful someone thinks its root cause is related to the green transformer plug-connection and you have ideas on how to remove the broken plastic that is within the transformer sleeve.

Apart from that, I'm somewhat clueless on how to diagnose this.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a very Bright light, inspect the deflection pcb for fluid having dripped on board. (DO NOT DISCOUNT THIS, THE FLUID IS EXTREMELY HARD TO SEE AS IT IS OPTICALLY TRANSPARENT). Have set unplugged and rested for 30 minutes and then USE YOUR FINGERS searching for fluid on the circuit board.

Jesse
abcoffey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: coolant drip addressed.... Reply with quote

Ah, the paper towel I had drapped over the circuit board did not show color stains but upon inspection it was damp....I did a towel wipe/dry of the board,nothing obvious showing as wet. But, I removed and reseated the plug on the blue coolant housing,and sealed it with silicone....reinstalled and then powered on...had picture for less than 10 seconds. Then, couldn't' get it to power-on again. Looked again at the tranformer wire for the green lamp....trimmed another 1/8 inch to extend the bare wire length and reseated the wire into the sleeve,feels like it seats tight. But, no power-on. When I remove the wall plug and plug it back it I can hear the power and a very slight click...does this imply something is tripping or just normal power coming thru the chassis? If one of the 3 transformer wires isn't making good connection, does this prevent the other two lamps from being powered?

Am I getting out of DIY land at this point?
abcoffey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: intermittment power-on... Reply with quote

This morning the TV powered on, but the blue color on the screen is jumping around and ghosting....powered off an then on but the TV did not come back. Unplugged and did another dry towel wipe of the PCB. On power-on the lamps started to light but then the TV shutoff. It appears this TV has at least two PCBs...one to the side seems to align with the power-cord...the one in the middle is what I think got dripped on.

Any advice?
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, the fluid is very hard to see when on the circuit boards. I would suggest that you go to radio shack and purchase some degreaser that is safe for plastics. Remove the board and displace the leaked fluid with the degreaser and reassemble. You also have the problem of "has the fluid leaked behind the deflection yoke" as this will also cause problems.
You also have the problem of "is it still leaking".

Hope this helps

Jesse
abcoffey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Picture now exhibits rapid flicking with horizontal lines Reply with quote

I wiped down as much of the circuit board with degreaser. I couldn't fully remove the board as it requires special star-screw driver which I haven't picked up yet. But, the TV powered on but showed rapid flickering of picture while also clicking. From the back I did not see any obvious arc'ing on the board. I removed the three transformer plugs and noticed that the wire for green, that I previously modified its length to extend pass the suspect plastic blockage, was bent as much to form an 's'...so I snipped this wire back to its original length, and reseated all wires...powered on TV and the flickering diminished to only being slightly noticable and the horizontal lines are also less visible..not clicking anymore.

I'm not completely sure that the green wire is fully seating into the tranformer housing,I'm reluctant to disassemble the housing as it appears the underside has some soldered connections. But this does look like a suspect root cause of my problem.

Any more guidance?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com