Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Philips 51PW9303 Convergence Problem    

Kraken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Philips 51PW9303 Convergence Problem Reply with quote

My Philips rear projection tvs convergence is gone. I have tried adjusting it in the user and service menus but it won't stay.

This tells me that the convergence circuit is kaput and needs to be replaced.

I am perfectly able to make the repair I am just unable to identify what part I need to order.

Any help you all could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part of this statement that needs to be made clear is "but it won't stay". Do you mean all of the colors adjust and wont stay adjusted or do you mean that the colors will not move at all?

Jesse
Quote:
I have tried adjusting it in the user and service menus but it won't stay.

Kraken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response.

The convergence will adjust, but snaps back after 5 or 10 minutes of viewing.

I was reading on another forum that replacing the ICs should correct this.
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly I have never seen this symptom behave exactly in this way. Usually if the adjustments work they will stay. However, replacing the STK's would be my first choice as the alternative is a very major convergence procedure after replacing the ACS pcb assy.

That being said, the STK's are located on the large heat sink on the right edge in the back of the left hand side circuit board. Also look at the light grey 2 watt resistors that stand up on the circuit board just to the left and rearward of the STK's. They run hot and will overheat if the STK's start going bad. This is all as being viewed from the back of the set.

If you choose to replace the STK's please note on this set it gets very messy as to harnessing and removing the circuit board to work on it. There are two different sized torex screws and normal screwdrivers are of no use. Be carefull removing the SSB circuit board as the socket is fragile.

Hoe this helps

Jesse
Kraken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jesse.

I have already ordered the STK's and laid eyeballs on the components in question and noticed the torex and have the proper drivers in my kit.

Thanks for pointing out the resistors, I'll just go ahead and test them while I have it all apart and replace if needed.

Regards
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know what your skills are but here is a suggestion that most people do not do and regret it.

After replacing the STK's and before reassembly, USE A MAGNIFYING GLASS and inspect the soldering on the STK's. The pins are small and it is EXTREEMLY easy to create a solder bridge and not be able to see the bridge with the naked eye.

Hope this helps

Jesse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com