Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
RCA 14" tv Lists & Labels   Goto page 1, 2  Next  

notright

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: RCA 14" tv Lists & Labels Reply with quote

TV RCA
Model number 14F514T
Purchase date 7-3-08

I don't know where to find the chassis number, as I'm not a tech....

I accidentally unchecked several of the channels under lists and labels.

Well, now, it won't even let me put the check mark back in so I can get them.

I've even tried getting channel 10, the numbers put in manually. I see a blue screen with No Signal written on it.

From there I hit menu, then set up, then list and labels.

Under lists and lables (doing it this way) the box is unchecked. I can arrow up or down, and it still won't let the cursor land on the "in list" line so I can recheck that box!

I've been pulling my hair out for weeks on this. I've even unplugged, and waited 5 minuts, rescanned the channels. No luck. I've even left it unplugged all night, rescanned hoping it would re-set. That didn't work either.

I called Thomson TV, and the guy acted like I was stupid. I know when I try to scroll up or down, if it skipps the whole entire line!

Any help on this, I'd sure be eternally greatful for!
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: If all else fails ... Read the book Reply with quote

Chassis number is either on the outside label (where the Model and Serial numbers are) or on the inside on a usually flat surface (Heat sink, Tuner cover, circuit board itself).

What does the owners manual have to say? (Never mind, looked up myself):

"List & Labels Edit the channels in the list or choose labels for each
channel. Select Lists & Labels from the SETUP menu and press the right or
left arrow button.
Channel Press the right or left arrow button to select the channel
number that you want to label. Press the down arrow button to highlight
Label.
In List This option allows you to keep or delete a channel from the
channel list. Follow the procedure for Channel (see above) to select the
channel. Then highlight In List and press the right arrow button to add
the check mark. The channel is added to the list.
To delete the channel,
press the right arrow button to uncheck the box. Press the up arrow
button to highlight Go Back and press OK to exit."
notright

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JT.

I didn't get an owners manual with the TV, but found it online, and printed it, when this problem came up. (yea all 40 something pages of it). Its of no help, and had very little to say about how to retrieve a channel. I went from how to delete one the past month, going backwards (pretty much how you walked me through it), for the last 3 weeks, and it isn't working.

I followed your instructions (just like I followed the guy at Thompson TV's on the phone).

After I label it, it still won't let me right arrow to add the check mark. When I try to use that right arrow button, it jumps to the next channel instead. And if I keep right arrowing, it'll go all the way around the channels, and never even show ch 10 on the list again.

And after labeling it, if I arrow up and down, it still skips the entire line to put the check mark in.

Thats when I have to start over, putting in ch 10 manually, and start the whole process over.

I'm about ready to throw this piece a junk in the trash. Never again will I buy anything RCA. I found several websites that folks made cause of the customer service is so shotty.

And btw.....is not giving you a manual with the tv, the new thing these days? I've never bought a tv without getting a manual.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If box set came in was "factory sealed" ... then it's Thompson's error. If box wasn't "factory sealed" ... who knows?

This time you mention that you're trying to work it correctly (No mention in first post about "left/right" buttons).

What happens if you try to change a parental (or a ratings) code? (To make sure that (that) channel hasn't been "banned")

Try to rescan (without an antenna/cable) to NO STATIONS found (Then reattach antenna/cable, rescan again, and see what you get).

Could have a bad EEPROM (Usually 8 pin I.C. - where ALL setup and customer settings are stored).
notright

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked all the parental codes more than one time. None are locked. I don't have children anyway. Its my 95 year old Mothers tv.

I'll try what you said, if that don't work, suppose I'll take it to the shop.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

notright

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That didn't work, but thank you so much for your time and effort with this.

Its a good thing I filled in that 16x32 pool out back! It'd sure tempt me to throw it in.

I will NEVER buy anything that has RCA on it again!
JTS1957

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

95 year old mothers have been known to do some illogical things.

Other than their name's on the item, nowadays chances are RCA/Thompson may not have had very much to do with the set.

It's not any trouble. It's what I've been doing for more than 30 years.
notright

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much. I took it to the shop. With the warranty, parts will be free, but I will have to pay the "stupidity fee" to get it fixed.

He tried to fix it before I left, then said "its not supposed to do this" when he found the same box won't let you put a check mark back in it.

So they have it, until they can fix it! I'll let him pull the rest of his hair out on the set.

Btw, I wasn't disappointed in the RCA "brand", it was their phone tech that really was horrible. Guy walked me through scanning channels, and adding the channel back in 3 times. Then said "you must not be doing something right" He didn't give me an option of taking it anywhere, or sending it in. Made me feel stupid.

I've tried to add the channel back for 3 weeks, looking up info from the instruction book on the "internet" since it didn't come with the tv. That's when after crying more than one time, I started looking for a pro on the internet.

Suppose I'm used to HP computer tech folks. They have walked me through all kinds of stuff. Never ever had to send anything back. And they'll call you back the next day too. Last prob I had, they called me 4 days in a row working on it. Nothing like great tech support.

Thanks again, for all the help you sent my way! You don't know how much I appreciate it. I will certainly keep this website on my fav's, as the tv in the living room is 4 years old and its a Magnavox. Its given me some greif lately too.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If/when they find out what's causing the problem you're having, try to post what they found it to be.
I'm curious to see if I was in the right area with my educated "guess." Plus it my help others in the future with the same or similar problem.
notright

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they had to send it back to the factory, as they couldn't find the problem either! And this company has 2 locations in our county, and they been in business as far back as I can remember. So they bound to know their stuff.

I don't feel so stupid now.

Thanks again so much for the help anyway, even if it didn't help. I at least felt someone did care (I know when I called Thompson Televsion, they didn't seem to).

I'm keeping this website, as my other tv is over 7 years old. Never know when I'll need to come back here!

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com