Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
RCA D52W20 Blue haze? No Red?    

vcand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: RCA D52W20 Blue haze? No Red? Reply with quote

RCA 52"
Model: D52W20
Chasis: ITC222
Manf. Date: Nov. 2003

This is going to be a little bit lengthy of a description.

My TV problem started about a month or so ago with a blue MOVING haze (it kind of looked like a lava lamp in slow motion). It almost looked like a convergence problem, but the alignment was fine.

Just recently, within the last week, the colors started going weird. It seems like after a little while of working, the red disappears and there's no rhyme or reason to it. When I turn on the TV all the colors are there (plus the blue haze). After awhile (especially with darker shows) the red will disappear. I will then switch back to a bright show, then all the colors are there. Then sometimes, there's just no red at all and it stays that way for hours, BUT, I notice these red lines that move at an interval (maybe every 5-10 seconds a line will move).

I opened the front to look at the lens, and I've attached the pics of what I found. All three lenses have some black spots in them, upon closer inspection it looks like there is possibly some bug bodies and debris in the concaved lens part (evident by the few legs I can see in the lens). But what I really notices is when I looked into the blue lens, I see what looks to be condensation (possibly leaking fluid?).

I read in the walk-through for replacing the fluid that if it gets on the board it could create some problems. Is it possible that maybe the blue seal is bad and it's leaking onto the board, thereby causing the inconsistent red problems? And of course I guess it's safe to say the blue haze is from the "fluid" distorting with blue image.

I have not yet accessed the boards (a lot of plastic covers that I need to figure out how to remove), so I cannot report if there is any visible damage or blown caps.

1: This is a view of the black objects from the mirror.

2: This is what it looks like looking into the lenses themselves

3: This is the condensation I see in the blue lens

4: These are the red lines when the screen is on a black channel/input

5: This is an image when red is working, you can see the blue haze.

6: This is another picture of the blue haze

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're first suggestion about a leak in the blue CRT is the one I would be most worried about. The only way you can tell is to open it up and look.

That picture with the red looks like retrace lines from the red screen voltage being too high. If it is flickering back and forth, check if the red screen voltage is also jumping at the same time.

I personally have no firsthand knowledge of this model, so hopefully someone else can chime in with some experienced wisdom.
vcand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: The Seal. Reply with quote

I'm trying to find the seal I am going to need for the blue, and I found this:

http://www.matelectronics.com/acatalog/Mat_Electronics_Replacement_Parts___TV_134.html

The, "NAP CRT SEAL KIT", is that a "one size fits all" part that would work for me, or does it vary from tv to tv?
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to chime in and voice my displeasure of my shopping experience with mat electronics.

If they were the last vendor on Earth that sold the parts I needed, I would prefer to throw my TV away.

I'd strongly recommend shopping elsewhere.
vcand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuhurdler wrote:
I'd like to chime in and voice my displeasure of my shopping experience with mat electronics.

If they were the last vendor on Earth that sold the parts I needed, I would prefer to throw my TV away.

I'd strongly recommend shopping elsewhere.

Alright thanks, that was the only place that actually came up when I searched, I will keep looking.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

case in point: The part number given for the seal from MAT electronics is 4835-2098-7001 This is a Magnavox/Philips part number for an integrated circuit. Not a CRT seal.

There are no seals or parts available for the CRT's to my knowledge for this set. The red cutting out sounds like a seperate issue.

Hope this helps

Jesse
abcoffey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: cloudy may be lack of coolant Reply with quote

I replaced my coolant recently on the Blue...noticed the same clouds you see,and with close exam thru top of tube I noticed that it was not completely filled to the top,thus a bubble was distorting the pic. Make sure when you replace the coolant that you fill it completely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com