Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
RCA D52W20 shorted circuit - HELP!!    

DonV

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: RCA D52W20 shorted circuit - HELP!! Reply with quote

I have an RCA D52W20 that will power up, make a sizzling sound and power right off. I pulled the back cover and found a bad circuit of some kind. It is rectangular grey and about 1/4 inch wide and 2 inches long.

It has the following markings on it.

AV R73 KP
0087 vfh 2000vdc
S9 GA20620

The underside of the circuit board is badly burned and has a decent size burn hole in it, so I don't think its any good.

Anyone have any advice, is this TV now junk? I don't want to drop more than $300 on this thing since the newer Plasmas and LCD's are so cheap.

I'll get some pics up soon.

Thanks!!

Don
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

DonV

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the pics.

TV Cover off:

Circuit board w/ bad component.
The grey rectangle is the bad piece.

This is the bad component:

Underside of the board:

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I don't want to drop more than $300 on this thing since the newer Plasmas and LCD's are so cheap."

Wow, I wish I could afford to throw away 1,000. Thats the difference between limiting repairs to 300.00 & the cost of replacing set.
DonV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This set was $1100 4+ years ago. I bet you can buy one of these used for ~$500.

Costco has Westinghouse 42" 1080p LCD flat screens for $699, BestBuy has 42" LG 720p plasmas for $750. It doesn't make sense to drop $500 fixing an old piece of electronics.

Thanks for contributing nothing to my request for assistance.
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are comparing apples to orange's. Go look at and price of the 52 inch TV's. That is what you have. It is difficult to purchase the technology your set is using new anymore, so what you originally paid for your set is irrelevant. Also, if one company sells a 52 inch tv for 800.00 and another company sells their brand for 2500.00 don't you think there is a reason for this. Remember, you get what you pay for. If you buy a cheap TV that is exactly what you will get. If you are going to purchase used, you might as well repair. These boards are available from several sources. My comment was not meant to offend, it was intended to incourage you to think before you leap.
NOTE: Many times when you have burn damage, like the one you have, if you cannot clean up the board, reinforce and resolder, you must purchase a new board if they are still available.

Jesse
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Those last couple of pictures were a little blurry for me to see what is going on there clearly. Could you try and get a couple of better ones?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com