Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
RCA Model: F26634SF Chassis: CTC187AB    

irish634

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: RCA Model: F26634SF Chassis: CTC187AB Reply with quote

Hello,

I found this site through google. Searching through the archives I've found a few helpful hints but I thought I'd ask directly.

I bought this TV at a yard sale. It works absolutely fine when I use the RCA jacks. If I plug the cable to the RF input, I have no signal.

Could the fix be as simple as changing the RF connector?
Are there any resistances/capacitances I can check?
Are there any other checks I can do?

I work for a PCB assembly shop so I am able to solder and if not, do have someone that can. But I know bupkis about TV repair.

Thank you
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irish634 wrote:
If I plug the cable to the RF input, I have no signal.

Is this "cable" connected to your cable company? Is tuning set to cable then you auto-program? Has your cable company redistributed their programming so that you need their box to receive them?

Is this "cable" connected to your outdoor aerial? Is tuning set to air/broadcast then you auto-program? Are there still analog stations for it to receive? Or do you have a DTV box connected?
irish634

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, and thank you for the reply.

*Yes the cable is run from the cable company.

*I only have basic cable so I do not need a converter box at all. I have 3 other TVs that work fine by simply hooking the cable to the RF jack.

*Input is set correctly (cable) and auto program has nothing but static.

This TV works fine if I run the cable to the VCR/DVD and then connect to the Audio/Video RCA jacks.

When I have nothing connected, I have nothing but static (snow).
When I connect the cable to the RF jack, I have nothing but static. I can take the same cable, connect it to another TV and that TV works fine.
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

open it up and look at the tuner
this may be one of the models that has the onboard tuner
irish634

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's open (at home I'm at work now). What do I look for?

I do believe it does have the on-board tuner just from the research I've done on the forum.
http://www.riddledtv.com/forums/loose-coax-connector-rca-t1902,highlight,ctc187ab.html
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start by removing the top and bottom covers from the tuner. These tuners use the frame/shield as ground "jumpers." If any point on the outer or inner frame develop a bad solder joint, parts are no longer connected to "ground." Resolder all frame/shield (ground) joints.

You could have lost a B-Plus source to the tuner. One of the tuner ICs could be bad.

Service/Training literature and even eeprom dumps are available galore: http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresult&megnev=&megnev2=ctc187&kategoria=&kat2=all
irish634

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After removing the bottom cover of the tuner, I found the center pin contact of the RF connector with a cracked solder joint. This is the center pin contact to the PCB.

Re-soldered and re-assembled and I now have a working TV.

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2018 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com