Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
samsung hcp4241w yellow and blue shadows?   Goto page 1, 2  Next  

HomelessRobles

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: samsung hcp4241w yellow and blue shadows? Reply with quote

Hey everyone-

I have a 42" samsung hc-p4241w, Chassis: P60A, which is about 3 years old. We got it as a gift, and I believe it was bought used. It's had this problem with yellow and blue shadows for a while now, at least 1.5 years. We don't watch much TV, so we never bothered to fix it, but we're thinking about selling it and I wanted to see if this would be worth paying someone to fix. See pictures below.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong? I don't think a degauss would help, but I haven't tried. Is it something that could be DIY? (I don't really know much about TV repair.) If I need to call a tech, any idea how much this might cost?

Thanks in advance!

Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The convergence is off. Based on how evenly the blue is spaced off, I would try to adjust it. If that doesn't work, you need to repair the convergence circuit. That's typically a $400+ job by a repair shop. If you can do it yourself, it's a $50 job.
HomelessRobles

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuhurdler wrote:
The convergence is off. Based on how evenly the blue is spaced off, I would try to adjust it. If that doesn't work, you need to repair the convergence circuit. That's typically a $400+ job by a repair shop. If you can do it yourself, it's a $50 job.

Okay, I'm guessing that to adjust the convergence, I go into the service menu. I'm there, and I've selected "Convergence & NR" Now there's this whole list of things, and I don't know what they mean. Here are pics of what I'm talking about. (Click them for links to bigger images.)

Service Menu

Convergence & NR

My question is: Is there a specific option or options that I need to adjust? Or should I just play around with it? When I got the service codes from this forum, it said something like "only a professional should use these, and you risk permanent damage to your TV." How true is this in my case?
JTS1957

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using the convergence adjustment in the normal customer menu? That looks like all you need to do.

"Self Focus" Page 22/23 of owner's manual.
HomelessRobles

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that, and it came up with a "Check Factory Data" message when I ran it. Any idea what that might mean?
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(You should have mentioned that in your first post)
Smile Don't know if will help but found:

Samsung "check Factory Data"

-----
Posted by: m

Hey guys, i have a Samsung in stock, Model HCP4241W , When i try to Align the image with "Self Focus" located in the TVs Menu, i get a message saying "Check Factory Data", any ideas as to what i have do, in order to get to the factory data? or how i can get around it so i can get the self focus to work?

Thanks
-M
-------
Try Mute 1-8-3 then self focus then save If that does not work let me know
------

Posted by: pappas
MUTE 183 AFTER UNIT IS STARTED. CHECK THE CONVERGENCE IF IT NEEDS TOUCH-UP IF IT DOES DO THE TOUCH UP. PRESS ADD/DELETE BUTTON THE CURSOR SHOULD MOVE TO MIDDLE OF SCREEN THAN PRESS AUTO FOCUS THIS WILL SET THE NEW INFORMATION INTO THE CONVERGENCE MODULE PRESS THE OFF BUTTON THEN ON AGAIN THE FOCUS BUTTON SHOULD WORK FINE AT THIS POINT.
HomelessRobles

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that, JTS. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work. Even after following all those steps, the "Check Factory Data" message still comes up.

The only thing I didn't understand was this:

Quote:
CHECK THE CONVERGENCE IF IT NEEDS TOUCH-UP IF IT DOES DO THE TOUCH UP.

I don't know how to do touch-ups of convergence... or even what it means to do that.
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not completely familiar with this model, so forgive me for asking a dumb question.

Is there a way to adjust the convergence besides the auto-focus?
JTS1957

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe same as for HCP4752W???

press menu 183. this should get you to the convergence menu crosshatch.
next press the button under 7 to remove a color (to add it back again press it again) the same thing will happen when you press 0 and the button under 9.(if you want to look at colors one at a time or two at a time so on. the number 4 should get you to move entire screen color press 4 again and it will get you to move a line at a time 4 again will take you to normal movement of what ever is in the square.TO CHANGE COLORS PRESS 7 ,8,9 THIS WILL CHANGE COLORS.to move the square press the little button take is in the middle of remote (joy stick) to move the color press the arrows around the joy stick (volume up and down) (channel up and down).AFTER ALIGNMENT IS DONE TO ONE COLOR PRESS ADD/DELETE BUTTON WHILE STILL IN THE CONVERGENCE MODE (THIS WILL SAVE INFORMATION.I DO THIS AFTER EACH COLOR .WHEN FINISHED DOING THE CONVERGENCE PRESS ADD/DELETE BUTTON THE SQAURE SHOULD MOVE TO CENTER THAN UPPER LEFT. THAN PRESS THE PERFECT FOCUS BUTTON (THIS WILL SET YOUR SENSORS WITH THE NEW INFORMATION.
HomelessRobles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it's taken so long to respond... I've been moving and been putting this off...

Anyway. The info for the HCP4752W was pretty helpful. Almost everything works like it says, except there's no joystick on my remote. I have a BP59 remote (image here: )

When I'm in the crosshatch or color grid, the other colors are straight but the blue grid looks like it's one of those fisheye lens shots.

I feel like I'm really close to fixing this, but the thing is I don't know how to properly adjust the blue. Is there a particular button to push, etc.?

thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com