Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Samsung HCR4755W Bad color on HD content over component inpu    

ajparr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Samsung HCR4755W Bad color on HD content over component inpu Reply with quote

I have a Samsung rear projection TV:
Chassis : P62A(N)_Benhur-3
Model : HCR4755WX/XAA (HC-R4755W)

When viewing HD content from any source using the component inputs, dark colors are replaced by red. Mid-range colors, however seem to appear as intended. SD content looks fine and does not suffer from any color issues.

I have posted pictures of the problem at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32718896@N08/?saved=1

From a cursory glance at the service manual, I'm guessing that the CG module may be bad. Am I barking up the right tree here?
Any help is appreciated!
Thank you!
-Aaron
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you might not believe me but, It looks like you have the unit hooked up with the red and blue backwards. The connectors are color coded BUT, the blue and green are many times hard to define the difference between them. Carefully, with a bright light, check BOTH ends of the component cable.
There is another possibility, Component will display a picture with composite as the source albeat a poor picture. If your source is Yellow it is composite, not component and they are not compatable.

Please do not be offended if you are knowledgable about the difference between composite and component as I cannot know the level of knowledge you have.

Hope this helps

Jesse
ajparr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Component inputs are hooked up correctly Reply with quote

Thanks Jesse, but the inputs and jacks are definitely component, and definitely hooked up correctly. I even triple-checked the hookups to make sure I haven't lost my mind yet ;). Also, this happens with multiple sources (cable box and appleTV), so the problem is likely not with the cables, and like I mentioned the picture is fine with SD content from these same devices.

I also cycled through resolutions on the aTV with the following results:
1080(i and p): bad color
720 (i and p): bad color
480p: bad color
480i: picture is fine
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now look at what you have done, Thoroughly confused I am. The Component Inputs on this tv are Analog. Not Digital and the resolution is not selectable via the tv or the tv remote. It is the source that determines the resolution. the tv simply reacts to the resolution that is broadcast. I was not refering to bad cables so much as I was trying to find out if you have been trying to use the composite outputs of the sources (cable, dvd etc.) and inputting that source to the component inputs of the tv. Sorry for the confusion but I have seen many people try to do this with the results you show.

Here is a good way for me to determine what is going on.

To hook up component you should be using cables that have 5 leads. Red, Blue, Green, with a White & Red on a branch of the same cable carrying the audio.

The source (Cable box, DVD converter etc) should be the exact same setup and color coding.

I have seen many people try to use the Yellow (composite) lead from the source and hooking it up to the component input of the tv with results that is similar to yours.

I Know, I am beating this to death but you are saying that you are changing the resolution on the tv and this cannot be done. The tv's resolution reacts to the content of the source so I think you may be changing the resolution at the source, not the tv.

If I am all wet, just slap me up alongside the head.

Maybe we can get lucky and end up on the same page.

PS. The CG board refers to convergence, not inputs.

Jesse
ajparr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, there I went and assumed everyone was an Apple dork like me!
Sorry for the confusion :-P

By aTV, I meant appleTV. It is a small box that connects to the television and plays music/movies from your PC. It allows the user to set the output resolution of the signal sent to the television. So in short, I was changing the resolution on one of the sources.

Both the cable box and the appleTV are connected using component (3-connector RGB video + white and red audio) jacks both on the device and the television. There are two devices, Wii and DVD player, hooked up over composite (single yellow video + white and red audio) cable.

To (hopefully) clear all the confusion about this, I'm posting additional pics showing the output and input hookups. To see them, use the link from the first post.

Thanks again Jesse
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, From what I see, It looks like you have three devices and two hookups. Also, what I think I see is a composite output on the box I believe is your DVD but no composite being inputted to your tv.

Your DVD output would naturally be composite unless you have a DVD with an upconverter. Standard DVD's only output 480P maximum unless it has a upconverter.

The only DVD player's that have a true 1080 I or P output is the BLUE RAY or the HDDVD, or DVD's that have an RGB output. (upconverters)

Now for the question. How is your DVD hooked up since you only show two inputs and three devices? If your DVD is truly composite, disconnecting it from whatever you have to disconnect it from will most likely fix your problem

Let me know please as this is interesting.

Jesse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com