Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Samsung LN-S4095D - Horizontal Static lines    

plastikman8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Samsung LN-S4095D - Horizontal Static lines Reply with quote

I have been asked to look at a friends Samsung LN-S4095D. There are static lines across the screen at the top and a little lower down on all inputs that I have tried, they get more thicker on standard def inputs. Oddly enough they are not there when there is no signal, nor in the spots where elements of the menu pass through them. Also if the source is standard def and I run it in 4:3 the lines stop at the black bars on the sides of the screen. Does anybody have any ideas? A picture showing the problem in HD is here: http://twitpic.com/mf3kf

I am fairly competent at repairing electronics if I know what to replace and he is willing to risk up to $200 to repair it so he can donate it to his church (he has already replaced it with a different TV at home...)

Thank you!
Nic
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three things.

First, is it only on cable? There is a possiblility of a ground loop problem that can cause this symptom. To confirm or verify, take two 75 to 300 Ohm adaptors and tie them back to back to isolate the cable company ground.

Second, it is possible, though unlikely since the lines are gone on the menu, that you have a dirty LVDS cable contacts.

Third, Disconnect the cable company box and use a different signal source like a DVD or VCR. Are the lines still there?

Jesse
plastikman8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast reply!

This happens on all of the sources that I could come up with HDMI (Dish), Component (Xbox 360), Composite DVD player, and over the air Coax. Didn't have a cable at the time to test S-Vid, or VGA. I didn't test the composite inputs on the side of the TV either (might have to tonight)

I am not sure what the LVDS cable is, but I could check that. Is it what connects the AV input panel to the board?

Thanks!
Nic
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LVDS cable is on the inside between the digital pcb and the T-con board of the panel.

If you do have OSD ("On Screen Display" (Menu)) and the distortion is not present within the OSD, then the problem is most likely in the source and not the TV. Like I said, disconnect the cable company and with the cable company disconnected check to see if the lines are gone using alternate sources.

Jesse
plastikman8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I the TV up and reseated all cables inside. Static lines are still there.

This is definitely not cable company related. I have tried it hooked separately to my Dish receiver, Xbox360, over the air antenna, and at the friend who owns the TV's house he had Direct TV, and a DVD player hooked up to it. The only input that I haven't tried is the VGA input.

I am guessing that there is a problem with the mainboard. Does anybody know how costly this would be to replace? Looks like I could replace it on my own (could be wrong though, any insight??)

Thank you,
Nic
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

ar1stotle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, a friend of mine is having the exact same problem with their TV. I've been scouring the internet for any tips on a repair but so far have come up empty. Did you ever manage to get it fixed? Or does anyone else have any ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com