Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Sony KD-34XBR960 missing red   Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Geo Magnet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Sony KD-34XBR960 missing red Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a sony KD-34XBR960 Wega that started intermittedly losing the red channel and then finally stuck with Blue and Green. Oddly, if you go to the menu to adjust color, the menu itself is in full color (red, blue, green...whatever). If you shift the hue to red, you get red but lose green. I also stumbled onto a diagnostic screen that had six options. These options showed the picture in red,yellow, green, aqua, blue, or purple. I mention this only as proof there is nothing wrong with the tube as all guns are producing color. It appears to have something with the processor which mixes these colors.

Also, I have tested DVD input, cable, and Memory stick input and get the same result.

Has anyone seen this problem before or have any suggestions as to what component(s) need to be replaced? At worse case, does anyone want to buy this for scrap?

Here are some screen shots (if that helps).

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
James
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a high probability that there is nothing wrong with your set.
It looks like you are using the component inputs and that the red input cable connector is loose. This will cause no red in picture, intermittent symptom and normal menu screens.

Hope this helps.

Jesse
Geo Magnet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Wishful thinking. Reply with quote

Not using RGB. Strictly video input with RCA jack. Even if that were true. How do you account for the memory stick images losing color as seen in photo 2 and 4?

Thanks, anyhow. It was a better response than "unplug it, and plug it in again" as offered by SONY tech support.
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,
Here's the rational,

1. Memory stick, You did not say what the source was for recording the memory stick.
2. There are a great many people that do not know the difference between RGB and composite and will try to use a RGB source plugged into a composite input and visa-versa. Since I do not know what your knowledge or skills are, the assumption is derived from the fact that the menu's are normal. If the menu's are normal it is almost always a source problem.

Beyond that. I would suspect the Jungle Ic, providing I could verify, with an O'scope, a good color bar pattern being supplied to the Ic.

Hope this helps.

Jesse
Geo Magnet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Which board has the Jungle IC Reply with quote

I can't find reference to the Jungle IC. What board / component is it on. I have to replace the entire board, as I don't have the tools to do a surface mount IC replacement. I do have a scope, however without a manual I have no idea what pin to hook it up to or what values I'm supposed to read.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I must ask you to jump thru the hoops so that we do not reinvent the wheel.

Like I said, if the menu is normal, it is almost always a source problem.

Here is what I need to know. You say you used a DVD/RF and memory stick with problem remaining.

Did you use your DVD for both the RF and composite test?

I say this as there is a condition that will produce your symptoms that can be created with DVD's

That is, you may have your DVD set for progressive display and your tv may not be capable of progressive display. If progressive display is attempted on a interlaced set the symptom you have can be displayed.

So, all that being said, Does you DVD have an upconverter to HDMI?

If so, does HDMI work normally?

Did you create the memory stick with the DVD?

I know you may think I am beating this to death but I, for one, do not particularly want to chase ghosts.

Jesse
Geo Magnet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Problem is the same no matter what the input source Reply with quote

I can appreciate your thoroughness.

The input is normal CATV and AV from the DVD. I downloaded a test pattern from wikipedia and put it on a memory stick. Im sure the internal test pattern is the same hex values as the one I downloaded. The problem is the same regardless of the input source. This is not a newly installed TV. It was working fine and then over a period of two weeks started blinking in and out of this off color mode until it stuck. I've replaced the wires, DVD and tested with different wall sockets and cable source. This is not a simple "jiggle the wires", unplug, reset, or service menu fix.

As a matter of fact I've even gone into the advanced service menu and boosted the gain of the red amplifier but that did the same as the hue adjustment in the main menu. I've dismantled the TV and made sure there were no loose connections and blew off the dust to no avail. I ordered and installed a new DZ board and that did not help. If you suspect it's the jungle chip then great. Where does it live and I will rip out its neighborhood and replace it with a new one.

Thanks
JS
Jesse Mack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

Darn it, I had to break down and look this up. Shocked

Disregard the Jungle IC statement. This set is far more complicated than that.

The memory stick bypasses a great deal of circuits. If the memory stick still has the problem and the on screen display is normal the most likely culpret is the BY board.

It can be found here: http://www.andrewselectronics.com/welcome.aspx
Part number A-1303-035-A
cost = $218.14

Hope this helps

Jesse
Geo Magnet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Thanks Jesse Reply with quote

I will track that part down. I found a company ModusLink who can remanufacture my card for about $110 within a months time. But after talking to their rep and describing my problem they feel the BY board may not be the problem either. So they are supposed to contact me in a few days after they do some more research. I will share their response at that time...but in the meantime, this knuckle head really riled my feathers..."nothing wrong with your set".
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind him. That's some loser that owns an appliance shop in CA. He must really suck at appliance repair, because he has plenty of time to spam my boards every week or so with meaningless comments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com