Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Toshiba 51H83 - no power, no lights - nothin'   Goto page 1, 2  Next  

gerrick.winston

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Toshiba 51H83 - no power, no lights - nothin' Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so I don't know if this issue has already been addressed. A neighbor put a Toshiba 51H83 on the curb(garbage day) and I asked him if he knew what was wrong with it. He stated no, but that it had belonged to a friend who said that it was worth fixing. I took it home(across the street, plugged it in, and tried the power switch...nothin'. Not a sound, hum, nothin'. Any idea how I would pursue this problem, or is there a place that would be interested in the TV for parts, ie., bulbs, lenses, etc.? I would really like to fix this unit, but I don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Gerrick
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've got to be careful with A TV that is now 3rd hand. Who knows what all golden screwdrivers have been used on it.

Vacuum it out, look for burn marks, check the fuse. then we can forward go from there.
gerrick.winston

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Toshiba 51H83 - no power, no lights - nothin' Reply with quote

kuhurdler wrote:
you've got to be careful with A TV that is now 3rd hand. Who knows what all golden screwdrivers have been used on it.

Vacuum it out, look for burn marks, check the fuse. then we can forward go from there.

Where do I look for the fuse? As far as dusting, do I use a can of air?

Thanks again.
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canned air helps.

using a vacuum keeps you from breathing it all in though.

Snap us a picture, and I can point at the fuse.
gerrick.winston

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Toshiba 51H83 - no power, no lights - nothin' Reply with quote

kuhurdler wrote:
Canned air helps.

using a vacuum keeps you from breathing it all in though.

Snap us a picture, and I can point at the fuse.

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=c81f9cb6be&view=att&th=1227f1dd306522a7&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_fx68dvcb0&zw
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

gerrick.winston

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Toshiba 51H83 - no power, no lights - nothin' Reply with quote

I don't suppose you'd know where I could find a downloadable repair manual would you? I feel like I'm taking up a lot of your time. I'm a pretty handy guy(used to do aircraft maintenance in the U.S. Air Force). If I had a manual, maybe I could check this out without bugging you guys?
gerrick.winston

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Toshiba 51H83 - no power, no lights - nothin' Reply with quote

Ok, finished vacuuming best I could. Didn't see any obvious burn marks, although it seems as though I'd have to somehow pull it apart to really see? Any hints?
gerrick.winston

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Toshiba 51H83 - no power, no lights - nothin' Reply with quote

i took apart the far right lamp assembly(well i removed the lens assembly anyway) and when I proceeded to remove the plate over the lens above the lamp, i noticed liquid, so i stopped...the entire area beneath the lens is filled with clear liquid(water?). Is this supposed to be? The other thing is that the lens looks white...any thoughts?

thanks again.
gerrick.winston

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Toshiba 51H83 - no power, no lights - nothin' Reply with quote

gerrick.winston wrote:
i took apart the far right lamp assembly(well i removed the lens assembly anyway) and when I proceeded to remove the plate over the lens above the lamp, i noticed liquid, so i stopped...the entire area beneath the lens is filled with clear liquid(water?). Is this supposed to be? The other thing is that the lens looks white...any thoughts?

thanks again.

Ok, I'm a dunce...I was looking at the CRT...duh!
JTS1957

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May want to ask before you leap next time. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com