Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Toshiba 51H84 won't turn on   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

fugshot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Toshiba 51H84 won't turn on Reply with quote

I have been reading a lot of complaints with this Toshiba 51H84 model having the same problem. A pop is heard, the screen goes black or distorted, and the TV must be shut off then turned back on to reset it.

This problem also happens where it won't come back on, and you just get a flashing red light at the power button. It won't power up regardless if it is unplugged and sits for a while. Since this problem seems to be out of control for this model based on unsatisfied buyers reviews, and since I now have the same problem, I am hoping for a cure.

I am not a repair tech and have no experience at all. I have read some forums stating that the convergence IC's are the problem. Any advice, instruction, or something a non-expert can save himself from paying more than the cost of the TV to get this fixed and that I could understand?

I found several sites to purchase parts, but that is as far as I got. I do not know what to buy and how to do it. Toshiba directed me to a local repair guy who rudely told me I needed to give him a $400. deposit just to look at it! and I also had to bring it to him or it was another $150. He said the repairs can be $250 to $400! I am sorry, but that is insane for a TV that only cost about $1,100 and the guy is a total arrogant jackass.

Please help!
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some people lack the people skills but his quotes to you were not necessarily unreasonable. if you think his prices were too high, you could try calling around a few other shops. If the repairs arent covered by warranty, you dont need to have an "authorized" service center perform the repairs.

If its just the convergence chips that need replaced, The parts are probably 50 bucks, but knowing how to change them out is the expensive part.

If youre interested in doing it yourself and know how to solder, let me know.
fugshot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can solder, but have no idea which is the convergence board. I found one for a toshiba 51h84c for $181. but my model is a 51h84 and I don't know if it is the same. People at the parts places don't seem to want to give out part numbers so I can't even compare. Very odd.

I did find another place that would do the repairs without any deposit. That sure beats a $400. deposit. I am not in the TV repair business, but I am smart enough to know that taking a $400. deposit when you are holding someones $1,100. TV in your possession is pretty unreasonable. The TV alone should serve as a deposit. If I did not pay them, I would not be able to get my TV back and they sure could get a lot more than $400. for it. It is only just over 1 year old.

Thanks for the reply. I would be interested in how to determine which board is the convergence board and how to change it just in case it is something I still end up trying myself.
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're TV isnt really worth 1100 at the moment.
fugshot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but I am sure that even requiring the board it is worth more than what he wanted for a deposit. The other places never even mentioned any deposits, so it seems to just be that one guy.
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, you're having it repaired at another place then?
fugshot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I can find parts and some instruction on how to do it for this model, I won't have any choice. I am the kind of person that does everything myself, so not being able to do this bothers me. From what I have been reading, this is a common problem and many people have had to do it more than once, so knowing how to do it is something I really want to look into. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I want to be prepared.
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, but please no more bad mouthing of TV repair techs. I understand your frustration.

I dont have a service manual, but I have worked on your model recently (its currently on the front page of RTV. and by the way, I bought it in broken-down condition for $100)

the convergence chips are attached to the largest heat sink in the TV. I didnt take a picture, so you'll have to find them on your own. If you want to take a picture of the board, I could point them out to you.

The chips are STK392-110, if I recall right. You'll want to confirm that before you order any replacements.
fugshot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not badmouthing anyone so I am sorry if it came off that way. I only had issues with the one very arrogant guy (he seemed to be the exception). The rest were friendly and helpful as to be expected with any business.

So, if I take off the front access and take a picture from that angle will that show where they are? I was told there was one, but it sounds like there are more than one? I can see pretty much everything from there. I had the back off too when looking at the interior.

Here is a link to the picture I took from the front with the access panel off:

http://www.riddledtv.com/forums/images/userposts/t543/TVfrontinterior.jpg
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant really see it in that picture. Youre going to have to take off the back anyway if you plan to solder on it. can you take a picture from the other side?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com