Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Toshiba 51HC85 - electrical arc on green gun    

d-no

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Toshiba 51HC85 - electrical arc on green gun Reply with quote

Hope to find out if this is fixable/replaceable? I'd like a new TV, wife probably wants me to fix this one.
Symptoms are popping noise and flickering screen. Slowly over time this 'popping' has gotten worse and increases with humidity (i.e when we open windows). We're to the point where we leave the tv on all the time so we don't have to wait for the popping to stop.

I managed to do some digging and found that it is most likely an electrical arc. I fired up the compressor and blew all the dust out. Still popping, I then turned out all the lights and took off the front and back of the cabinet (well, not in that order) and saw where the arc was occuring. See the following picture on Flickr, the blue arrow shows the spot!

I've also posted another picture that shows the details of the gun (I think this is the gun?!) on flickr:

I hope that's enough information for you guys/gals to at least point me in the right direction!!

Greatly appreciated!
-Dean
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a CRT (neck) board. From pix and description, all you need to do is heat up this joint with a soldering iron and add some solder. Simple as that. Smile
d-no

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give that a shot. I did solder what was there before I posted the question, but didn't add any solder. I'll give that a shot when I get back from taking the kiddo to cub scouts camping trip and post the update on my progress on Sunday.

Appreciate the quick reply and the correction of my mis-identification!

-D
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what that component is, but when you solder it, make sure to push down on whatever that component is, so it makes good contact with the solder while the solder is "wet"
d-no

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got back from camping and took the panel off of the TV. Soldered the connection while pushing down but was unable to really get any solder into the location. I tested and the TV was still arcing. I turned the TV upside down to get some help from gravity and tried again. This time, the actual metal piece I was trying to solder came out! I figured I just tombstoned the TV but thought to try it anyway.

Darn thing works great now. No arcing at all. I would have posted some pictures but it was 5 minutes before the Cowboys kicked off so I flipped the TV over and connected everything back up. I swear the picture on the tv is better than it has ever been.

If it wasn't for everyone's responses I would have retired this TV and bought a new one, but I probably saved several hundred dollars.

I do appreciate the suggestions and just wanted to make sure I posted the results for anyone to see. If my description above was not clear, let me know and I'll try and get my terminology up-to-speed for a better explaination.

Again thanks!!
-D
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com