Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
Toshiba tuner acting weird    

scrupul0us

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Toshiba tuner acting weird Reply with quote

I have an old toshiba CF32F50 tube style TV... the TV tuner is acting pretty weird when we watch cable TV (component input is 100% fine)...

when we first turn the TV on it always displays static and as such I always have to reach behind the TV and wiggle the coax until the picture comes up and the static subsides... depending on the day sometimes only one good wiggle is needed... other times the picture and sound start to go back to the static and I'll have to wiggle it again several times...

Any ideas?
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely, bad joint(s) inside the tuner.
If you have soldering skills, a fine point soldering iron, a steady hand and PATIENCE, (I prefer to remove the tuner from the main P.C. board first), you could try to resolder the through hole connections (where tuner pins feed through to main P.C. Board) and ALL ground points (around the outside frame should be obvious, but also wherever else the grounding frame protrudes through the tuner's P.C. board).

Another choice (if you lack one of the above) is to either replace your tuner or to send it out to be reworked. Tuner should have a part number on it. Do search for that number or for tuner repair service.
scrupul0us

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done small PCB and electronics work before but never a TV...

As far as removing the shroud from the back of the TV, is it nothing more than removing the screws and pulling the back off or is there hidden clips as well... any tips on that would be appreciated

once I'm in I'll have to do an inspection to determine then if the issue lies in the pins to the board or the actual tuner which if my memory serves me right (from having had a PCI tuner for a PC) is a dozen plus pins

thanks for the follow up!
JTS1957

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have screws around the perimeter, maybe by any input jacks, maybe support for flyback. Should be no clips.

Also I'm presuming (when you "wiggle the coax"), the antenna (coax) connector is NOT loose, etc.
scrupul0us

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well shes popped open... the actual tuner doesnt even move so it appears its connection to the board (rough inspection) looks intact

that being said the F-connector coming out of the tuner is slightly bent to the left (facing the connector) and IT is what is loose and wiggles

also it appears that the sides of the tuner can pop off for internal inspection but im kinda wary to get in there with needle nose (dont want to damage anything adjacent to it or possibly short something) unless its something foreseeably safe
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

scrupul0us

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok... got the side off and can see the back end of the connector

i gave it a wiggle and speculate this is the issue... the center pole connection to the inside looks intact BUT the outter connection appears to "float" around the housing (as if it would be be peened tight)

maybe a blob of solder to the outer connection?
JTS1957

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, a short (6 - 8 inch) length of coax w/connector screwed onto jack (to act as a jig to keep center conducter centered and also act as a heat sink), then use a large wattage iron or gun to as quickly as possible resolder the connector to the tuner. You could do whole at once (looks better - more professional looking) or do it in segments (a little sloppy-looking - but will work).
scrupul0us

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
Actually, a short (6 - 8 inch) length of coax w/connector screwed onto jack (to act as a jig to keep center conducter centered and also act as a heat sink), then use a large wattage iron or gun to as quickly as possible resolder the connector to the tuner. You could do whole at once (looks better - more professional looking) or do it in segments (a little sloppy-looking - but will work).

so remove the old f connector and essentially solder up a pig tail to the tuner?

how would i go about removing the existing connector?
JTS1957

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you say the center pin (pole) is still intact. (if not too bent up, just resolder after attaching heat sink coax).

Here's what I would do. I'd desolder the center pin and temporarily remove the connector. I'd remove excess solder from where the connector was mounted. I'd set connector back into place, bending/straightening as needed to center over opening being sure center conductor is in place. Attach short length of coax (maybe having a second person to help hold) and resolder in place.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/RCA-215543-/215543
The center where the solid lead of the coax is inserted is either a plastic or ceramic disc with a centered hole (usually also centers the innerds). If ceramic, when heated, no harm, no foul; If plastic, when heated, will distort/melt, rendering connector useless.

Last edited by JTS1957 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
scrupul0us

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTS1957 wrote:
No, you say the center pin (pole) is still intact. (if not too bent up, just resolder after attaching heat sink coax).

Here's what I would do. I'd desolder the center pin and temporarily remove the connector. I'd remove excess solder from where the connector was mounted. I'd set connector back into place, bending/straightening as needed to center over opening being sure center conductor is in place. Attach short length of coax (maybe having a second person to help hold) and resolder in place.

OK I see what you're saying... I'll give it a ago and see what I can do...

Time for a quick trip to get some new tips for the iron then back to it...

thanks for all the help thus far, its appreciated very much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2020 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com