Riddled TV Repair Forum
Service Menu and Manual Schematics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
White, Blue, Green & Red lines Sony KV-32FS100   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  

Patsfan34

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: White, Blue, Green & Red lines Sony KV-32FS100 Reply with quote

Yes, I have had this problem for quite some time now and I am getting rather sick of looking at it. I have about 3 inches of lines at the top of the screen the 2 blue 2 green and 2 red lines underneath it. So there is like 4 inches of lines at the top of the screen that never disappear. This started happening one day. The lines would start folding over so you wouldnt see them anymore but now they are stuck for good. I have been reading up on it. I assume it is called vertical foldover cause by a bad capacitor on the circuit board. Could someone please tell me the safest way to fix this. Step by Step instructions would help. I have never attempted a fix like this. My tv is a Sony FD Trinitron WEGA KV-32FS100. Here is a picture of the problem. Thanks.

Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

JTS1957

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C565 220ufd 50 volt is prime candidate, C561 47ufd 50 volt next likely, observe polarity. They are located on the "A" board (behind flyback transformer - then to the left - near center of board) near IC561 (STV9379) heatsink. Also check solder joints on IC561.
Patsfan34

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well before I open up the back of my TV to check things out. I know you can't guarentee that this is the issue but can you give me step by step instructions on how to go about replacing these capacitor's? What is the safest way to open up the back of the TV. I assume I should leave my tv unplugged for awhile before I attempt this? What will I need to perform this task? If I attempt this I could end up making the TV non-usable I understand that.
JTS1957

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with the TV set on a stable workbench (kitchen counter / table etc.).

Safest way to open back of set is to use a "driver" that matches the fasteners holding the back of the set in place (Phillips screwdriver, of appropriate size, for phillips screws - Torx of appropriate size for torx, quarter inch nutdriver for quarter inch, etc.). Save one of the top screws for last and hold back on while removing. Don't forget fasteners on apron (where any rear A/V jacks are located). Pull back straight back and remove to a safe location.

Most current sets will bleed off residual charge from capacitors and CRT in a very short time. Once turned off and unplugged, an hour should be more than sufficient. If you want to play it safe, 1) Don't touch the end of the thick (Usually Red) wire that goes to bell of the Tube, 2) and stay away from the electrolytics marked 100 volts and higher (usually in the power supply).

Minimum you should have to do the "swapping":
1) a low wattage soldering iron; 2) some means of removing old excess solder (desoldering "braid," vacuum-type desolderer/solder sucker); 3) the replacement part(s); 4) fresh solder (60/40 rosin-core "electronics" solder); 5) wire cutters / needle-nose pliers; 6) Magnifing device of some sort.

You may have to untie/loosen wires & release any clips that may be holding the chassis. You only need to create enough slack to allow you to work on the board. You don't have to completely remove the chassis (the more you take off, the more you'll have to keep track of and put back).

First locate the Vertical output IC and capacitors (see my prior post), using magnifier, examine the solder joints on each pin, if any show a "ring" or "grainy" appearance, resolder, (do not create any "bridges" or shorts). (Many soldering/part removal videos on Youtube - practice on some junk circuit board, if necessary, it's really not that hard).

Next locate the two capacitors. Taking the braid or solder sucker and iron, heat one pad that the part is on and remove solder until the lead is free, do the other lead next and remove the part. Put matching new part in (observe polarity) and solder.

Hope this helps.
Patsfan34

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you tell me where I would buy these capacitors?
Google

PostPost subject: Advertisement

kuhurdler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouser.com
digikey.com
JTS1957

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radio Shack (May have to special order).
Fry's.
A Local TV Repair shop.
Patsfan34

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't opened up the back of the TV yet. lol Are these capacitors pretty much universal in all tv's? If not how will I know the exact model of the ones I need to replace? Does it say on them what they are? I don't wanna buy some that aren't for my specific tv. Thanks.
kuhurdler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

220ufd 50 volt
47ufd 50 volt

Those are the specific values of capacitors JTS told you to get.
Patsfan34

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious if this solder iron is ok to do this with. The Cold Heat Soldering Tool. http://www.asseenontvguys.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=70
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Riddled TV Repair Forum Index -> TV Repair All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Disclaimer: All information provided by RiddledTV is strictly for information purposes only. Please observe all warnings displayed on your electronic
devices. This information should only be used to help diagnose work, and all service should be performed by a qualified technician.
Contact Us       Privacy Policy       Copyright © 2018 RiddledTV.com       Advertise on RiddedTV.com